Thursday, August 11, 2011

Never Fail Cupcakes: My Thoughts

Vintage Recipe: Never Fail Cupcakes


First I want to apologize to my one follower. I haven't been keeping up with this blog like I hoped to when I first created it months ago.

I thought I would have more time to write about my vintage recipes but I started working for The Blog Frog as a community leader in the Savvy Living Community and between that, school being out for the summer and keeping up with my Flour On My Face blog I just haven't had time. Not to mention that I also babysit my two year old grand daughter. 

If you have a chance to stop by the Savvy Living Community you will find me chatting about food and other things. I also have my own Flour On My Face community on the blog frog and there are cooking and food related discussions going on there as well. Wow I have been busy!

Matter of fact I haven't even made any vintage recipes for the Vintage Recipe Project all summer long. Not that I haven't been poring over my recipe collection and vintage cook books. Yes I have been dreaming of future recipes for the project. 
Photo taken with my camera phone.

 This never Fail Cup Cake recipe came from the My Favorites cook book . This is turning out to be my Favorite cookbook of all. .Many of the recipes I have made for the project have come from this book.

One of the things about cooking these vintage recipes that confuses me is that you can not trust the number or size the recipe is going to turn out. Take this recipe for example. The recipe says it makes 18 cup cakes. From previous experience I knew I could not trust it. After filling the cupcake liners about 3/4 of a way full with an ice cream scoop that I use for all my cupcakes and muffins I had 12 cupcakes and possibly enough batter for one more. 

Now I did change the recipe a tiny bit. The recipe calls for a 1/2 cup cocoa. I didn't want a chocolate flavored cupcake like the recipe. I just wanted a plain vanilla cupcake because I planned on filling these cupcakes or I did at the time any way. 

 There is no way omitting the dry cocoa powder could have altered the recipe that much. By 6 cupcakes? I don't think so. So what is the difference? I'm not really sure but I am willing to bet that cupcake pans were a bit smaller back then. Somewhere around my house I think I have a vintage cupcake pan. One of those small ones that makes 6 cupcakes at a time. When and if I find it I am going to test out my theory and I will let you know what I find out.

Now that the cupcakes are out of the oven I only have ten left. One went in the trash because I dropped it on the floor when I was taking it from the cupcake pan. The other one I of course tasted. I conveniently had an open canister of chocolate frosting in my cabinet so I ate half without frosting and half with.

.The cupcake has a very nice texture and flavor but there is some little flavor note at the end that reminds me of something but I just can't put my finger on it right now.. Bumping up the vanilla might do the trick but I am suspecting that it may be the Crisco. I think replacing it with butter might do the trick. Butter can fix almost anything : )


Until next time! Happy baking!
Arlene


0 comments:

Post a Comment